Friday, November 21, 2008

Recount captivity day 4

I asked to be fired from the recount today so that I could go back to my nice quiet job. Ha ha. I guess I'm in it until we are done. We have had more drama today. One of the polling place chairs was hauled in and questioned extensively by 3 lawyers about the ballots. It was ugly. That district is like the district from hell. After she left, the touch screen voting machine tape, which recorded only 5 votes for the final total, was found to be messed up. There were actually supposed to be only 4 votes. I think. It's confusing. The machine company is supposed to be on the speaker phone tomorrow. That should show the woman who prematurely celebrated that the TSX tape only had a few votes on it should show caution next time--I think she angered the recount gods.

In another district 11 unopened absentee ballot envelopes were found amongst the opened ones. They were opened and the majority of the votes were for our girl Jess.

Today's Republican lurkers included state Sen. Scott Fitzgerald again and Sen. Glenn Grothman. Ick. It's a good thing I didn't recognize Grothman while he was there or it would have taken everything in my being to keep me from kicking him in the shins. We are getting along okay with the Republican recount watchers. Believe it or not, we have discussed no politics in the whole 4 days. It's really odd that such political people can go that long without discussing politics with each other. Well, I did talk about lit drop attire with Nate Nelson, but that's as political as it got.

As I predicted yesterday, the larger room and the extremely cold temperatures in the room in the basement of the courthouse seemed to have cooled down the tempers a little. I think the coldness in temperature down there is becoming a bonding experience. When Mark Harris, the county executive came down to see how it was going on his way out for the day, I asked him jokingly if the county had forgotten to pay the WPS bill. He laughed at me.

More fun will be had tomorrow between 9AM and 5PM. Yippee. We are stopping for doughnuts on the way there. Maybe the sugar rush will help.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I hope you stayed warm today!!